
Ha. I was really hoping I wouldn't choose this element when the little slips of paper came around. Oh well time to get to it.
The line assignment was probably the most frustrating for me. In theory it sounds like it should be a pretty easy assignment out of all the other ones we've had so far - sit down, use the different brushes/pens/tools, and just make some lines - but for some reason my mind just didn't seem to want to listen. What was most frustrating is that I couldn't find any cohesiveness to my image, it just felt too random and thrown together, which I guess it is. Most of the objectives of the assignment are there. There are lines in the image, lots of lines, but I don't feel you can find any certain emotion expressed in them - unless it's confusion with a hit of aargh. It may also be lacking in texture. I'm not sure why I had such problems with this since I usually enjoy just scribbling away in my sketchbook.
I like the ink spatters and the feather like strokes on the upper section of the piece, there is some illusion of depth/perspective in the varying tones and the thickness of the strokes. I think the newness of illustrator and a fear of taking chances had a great effect on my work. As I become more comfortable with the program I'd definitely like to take another shot at this exercise and see what I can create.
I believe that you did achieve the main objective of this assignment which was lines also, I like the color spectrum in your art work. However, I have difficulty figuring out which line is closer to the viewer, and which one is in distance. I believe that if you would have chosen a transition from the lighter colors, or should say grays to the darker colors, or your blacks you would have created a sensation of depth in your work. Although, I see that you did try to achieve that effect in the center part of your work however, one needs to look for a few seconds to get the depth sensation. The other thing that I like a lot is the line separating your canvas creating two triangles.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you Karen. How everything was so random and it pretty much didn't make much sense, but it is the first assignment though. It's great to see what you can achieve through the many brushes and techniques of Illustrator.
ReplyDelete